Thursday 15 July 2010

Shane chats to ilikemusic

October 25th 2008

After an appearance on Children In Need in November 2007, Boyzone announced, to the delight of many fans, that they would be re-forming. What followed was a huge sell out arena tour and now, a brand new single, Love You Anyway, taken from their latest album Back Again....No Matter What.

After forming in 1994, Boyzone became part of the iconic boy band status and image of the 90's. With 16 consecutive top five hits in the UK singles charts, six number one singles, four number one albums and total sales exceeding a staggering fifteen million, the boys certainly have something to smile about.

With their new release available now and their Better 09 tour around the corner, ilikemusic caught up with Shane Lynch to chat about making a come back, how it feels to be part of such a successful boy band and the music that he likes.

"I Like Music because… it allows you to express yourself. It allows you to go to a different place within the mind. Lyrically you hear songs and you can visualise yourself within them. It allows you to go to many different places. Music is a powerful thing." SHANE LYNCH, BOYZONE

ILM: How does it feel to be back together again?

Shane: Absolutely fantastic. Me and the boys are very, very excited. We love our new record and we have had great feedback about it, but, obviously we are still nervous about it. This is our first time back. We don't know how it is going to go. We came off the back of a very successful, sell out arena tour, but a record is a different thing. But, it is an honour to get a second chance and we are very, very thankful.

ILM: How did you find being back in the studio?

Shane: To be honest it was a lot easier. As we have all grown in the industry we have learnt who we are and what our voices are like. Instead of what we thought we were supposed to sound like back in the day. It was an easy process going into the studio and laying down vocals and a pleasurable one. We can all get together and sit and reminisce and encourage each other, build moral within the group.

ILM: So as well as looking back, looking forward?

Shane: Absolutley. The journey at the moment is going forward. We sang on Children In Need in November last year and that was the beginning of our reunion. We came back for a charity, which was a very good reason, that then led to a tour which then led to a new record! The new record led to an album and then a brand new tour!

ILM: What can fans expect from the 2009 Boyzone tour?

Shane: It is called Better. We came back this year and had an incredible impact, but we know we are going to be able to beat that! One thing we can't over look is the songs. Everyone goes through their problems in everyday life so to be able to go back to songs that remind you of being a teenager, when you had almost no cares in the world, is one of the reasons fans like to come and see us! That's one of the things that music does. People have a lot of stories and memories, wedding songs etc, to do with Boyzone. It's great to see couples in the audience as well! That is what the tour is about. The music and the songs. We don't cut corners, we do it full on and flat out. We proved that this year! We want people to come, see the show and think 'Yeah, that was well worth the money!'

ILM: You are part of one of the biggest boy bands ever. Do you still wake up in the morning and think 'Wow, I can't believe this all happened to me!'

Shane: I'm a lucky guy. I got kicked out of school at the age of 15. I was living the life of a car mechanic, which was a great life, but I never expected to be in a successful music band. I took a chance, I took an opportunity, I said yes to an audition and I went along. Was I the most talented guy in the world? Most definitely not, but it worked out for me. I do wake up in the morning and appreciate that a lot. I don't believe I'm beyond my position. I will have a go. That's one of the reasons I've done a lot of reality shows. Who am I to turn them down? I feel honoured when I get asked to do them. They are experiences in life that I really enjoy.

ILM: Do you have one particular moment that stands out when you look back over your career?

Shane: That's a difficult question! The beginning of Boyzone was a wow factor, becuase I had made the audition! Then we had our first front cover on a magazine which was an amazing achievement, then we had a number one album, then a number one single, then a sell out tour! It grew and grew and grew for Boyzone. Incredible obstacles stood in our way and we over came them. There is no defining moment. It has been an incredible journey.

ILM: You've done some fantastic collaborations throughout your career. Do you have any planned for the future?

Shane: It was a pleasure to work with many a great, great artist in our day. From Pavarotti, to being on the same stage as Mariah Carey. If Boyzone carry on we are planning to do a studio album for 2009. We would like to have some collaborations on there. In terms of who? I have absolutely no idea! It's early days, we need to get over the first hurdle, which is the release of Love You Anyway.

ILM: The video is wonderful! Did you have fun making it?

Shane: We did, for the first time I think! The process of Boyzone coming back is a lot easier than it used to be. We are interested in being in the industry. It's like a new beginning. You know when you have that thing in your head where you go 'I'd love to go back to my school days, but with this head and with this body?' Well, it's like that! It's that concept of the mind. We understand each others levels, we know what to expect of this world.

ILM: What is one of the main things that you've taken from your past success and brought with you now?

Shane: I've taken on board what I lacked back then. What I dis-respected back then, which was simply the fact that I was in a band. At this point in life I realise I was a lucky, lucky guy. It's hard out there. It doesn't matter who you are. It's not an easy life. The Boyzone situation has a foundation, it has a following, it has a fanbase, it has the potential to sell tours and records. It is nice stepping into that with a little bit of back up. It is lovely to feel comfortable with that.

ILM: When did you first get into music and realise it was what you wanted to do?

Shane: My first recollection of music is of New Kids On The Block! I have five sisters. The girls were into the boy band thing, so I grew up in that family where they had the records and the posters on the wall. The first record I brought was Vanilla Ice! I don't mind saying that, it was a good record back in the day! Then I swiftly moved on to Hip Hop. Things like K-OS one and NWA. My musical interests have varied throughout the years. I began to appreciate pop, rather than rebelling against it. I also love Irish folk music. I have a wide scope of music that I like and what my interests are.

ILM: You were part of the iconic boyband image. How will that differ this time around?

Shane: I feel a lot more relaxed with the fact that I'm in a boyband. It is easier to accept now that I'm a lot older than when I was a kid. We were never going to be an Oasis, although we had some fantastic records. But I think that as a youngster, as a youth, you will always want to be more than what you seem to be. I realise as an adult now that we are called Boyzone. It's pop music. It does what it says on the tin. It is what it is. You either love it or hate it. There's a bit of marmite going on there! We enjoy what we do, that is most important. That way other people can enjoy it.

ILM: What are you listening to right now?

Shane: Hmmm. What's in my car right now?! There's a Michael Jackson Hits album that I brought at a service station the other day! The quality of the actual CD is brutal! It sounds rubbish and tinny! We did a medley on our tour, so I've got back into that! Generally speaking I listen to the radio. I don't play many CDs. I don't have an MP3 player. I do a lot of driving across the UK, radio is a big friend of mine!

http://www.ilikemusic.com/interviews/Boyzo...ne_Lynch-5787/8

No comments:

Post a Comment